How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101441
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have been in a common law relationship years in Alberta.

Customer Question

Have been in a common law relationship for 5 years in Alberta. Want to leave she is threating to take my car and everything and go for alimony. The car is registered in my name. My questions are
1. Can she take my car
2. Can she take all my tools
3. Will she qualify for alimony she makes 1/4 what I do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
She has no right to your car or any of your assets. She will be entitled to some spousal support. Your relationship was short so it will not go on for that long though you might have to support her to some extent for a few years.She does have a duty to become self-sustaining and so it is possible she will get some support at first and then it will be reduced somewhat and then eliminated. If you want some idea of what you might have to pay and for how long you can use this online calculator. It is just an approximation and a guide and nothing more: