How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101462
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am seeking advice regarding inheritances and potential

Customer Question

I am seeking advice regarding inheritances and potential family law claims.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for requesting me. Please let me know your province and the basic facts. Then please let me know your question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I live in the province of Ontario. My father died roughly 3 yrs ago. His will states that no action be taken regarding who
gets what as far as money or other items he has deemed to be handed out until his wife (my stepmom) dies. My sister
and her lawyer gave me a letter (Certificate of Appointment) where it says they are now in a position to transfer half
my stepmoms house to we 3 kids. We 3 kids are deemed the estate and are responsible for taking care of her of
her property. I've been advised to seek legal advice regarding what I believe is called a deed. What to do regarding
inheritances. I hope that explains what I am seeking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not married and have no children.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
The deed will show who has title to the house. It is now called a Transfer. But it is needed to know where things are in terms of ownership. But what I don't understand is how anything is being done now if you are correct in saying the Will freezes everything until your step-mother dies. I don't know what you are specifically asking about though when you say what to do regarding inheritances as it seems me to that nothing can be done at this point.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My sisters lawyer thinks each of three children will be "tenants in common" or we can choose joint tenancy between the
3 of us, what is your opinion?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Tenants-in-common makes sense. You don't want the last person living to inherit the entire house. You would want your portion to go to your estate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK Thank you for your assistance. Have a great day.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
You too!