How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100008
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner is in processing of divorce and his case it took

Customer Question

my partner is in processing of divorce and his case it took almost 2 years, its simple pas her lawyer is make it hard, he is physician and after his separation he had debt almost 200,000$ just tax and 60,000$ credit cart he has close work permit he work in small town in Alberta he want to change but he has to change his work permit condition its take between 4 to 5 month, the agreement he sign with his ex that he has to pay 16000( between support 10000, and child support 6000), but now with the new condition he can't afford this amount but his lawyer she told him she can't change the agreement and she can't ask about changing even for short time , he has to bring the money , please we need your help and advice
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Are you asking how he can change the amount of support he must pay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, how he can change
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And if he has to change his lawyer because it seems that she is not in his said because when they did the agreement he took the debt he gave land to his ex about 200,000$ and jawlory 60,000 and she moved and ask for 7000$ too and his lawyer never discuss this amount she all the time told him you have to pay because you hVe income and not her so if you can advise us with new lawyer too her in Calgary it is going to work for us
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
To be able to pay less he has to bring a motion to the court to prove there is a material change in circumstances.
Then he has to prove what his income is.
He always has the right to dismiss his lawyer.
You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.
The number is:
(###) ###-####in Calgary

Related Canada Law Questions