How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is what my ex husband just sent me and I want to know

Customer Question

This is what my ex husband just sent me and I want to know if it's accurate. Of note is that we have two children together age 10 and 13. The 13 year old has significant special needs and resides with me 100% of the time. The 10 year old is with me 65% of the time.
My 2014 tax return attached, including notice of assessment and t4.
This was a highly complicated tax year for me in that it involves the sale
and disposition of my cottage and restructuring how I own shares in my
employer. Thus total income shows as $450,431, however if you study the
return my actual income from employment was $185,045.37. The rest was not
cash income but restructuring, or capital gains from the sale of the
cottage which is a one time amount not attributed to income for the
purposes of determining child support table amounts, and which to tell you
the truth you entirely captured in the spousal support settlement earlier
this year.
Based on income of $185,045.37 the child support table amount is $2,411.52
per month, an increase of $215.00 per month. Per the separation agreement
this should be the amount as of July 1 2015.
Please forward your tax returns and advise. We can than tabulate the %
share each of special expenses incurred after July 1.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Upon reviewing the tax return with my accountant, it appears that my ex's income was closer to $600k. Majority of gains were from selling shares in his company and a lesser amount was from sale of a cottage secondary property.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
We cannot review the documentation. I can answer your question generally in terms of explaining what is income for support purposes if that will help. But I cannot really advise about specific details.Should I do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
General information is helpful. Can I pay less for that?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I don't think so. I don't work for the site so I am not sure how that works or what you paid. I just log in the way you do and then choose which questions to answer. So let me know what you prefer. You can contact customer service and ask I suppose. But to be honest what you are paying is not higher than what others on this site pay for legal information so I am not sure if I or anyone would take this on if the price was much lower. We get paid a portion of what you pay the site so it has to be fair in the eyes of the expert.Anyway, I am content to wait and see what you decide so take your time.

Related Canada Law Questions