How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100959
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a pension plan in Canada job I left 12 years ago.

Customer Question

I have a pension plan in Canada for a job I left 12 years ago. Anyway to access any of that money early...I now live in california and am disabled
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation.
In Ontario it is possible to access funds that would otherwise be locked into a pension fund or other retirement funds.
This can be done in cases of undue hardship.
Here is a guide that explains when you are eligible and what needs to be done:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I am aware of that but I do not know who the financial institution etc is. The pension plan was for CHUM limited which was sold and divided up - at one point it was with the CTV but it no longer is. How do I find out where to apply? My income for 2015 will be about 85 to 90% less than in 2014
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
You can start off by calling the government at the website I provided. They will know how you can find this information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had looked at that website already and had done a plan search and nothing showed up. I guess I will try calling Monday
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Yes that would be best.