Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have a pension plan in Canada job I left 12 years ago.

Customer Question

I have a pension plan in Canada for a job I left 12 years ago. Anyway to access any of that money early...I now live in california and am disabled
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation.
In Ontario it is possible to access funds that would otherwise be locked into a pension fund or other retirement funds.
This can be done in cases of undue hardship.
Here is a guide that explains when you are eligible and what needs to be done:
https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/pensions/brochures/Pages/brochure_special_access.aspx
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I am aware of that but I do not know who the financial institution etc is. The pension plan was for CHUM limited which was sold and divided up - at one point it was with the CTV but it no longer is. How do I find out where to apply? My income for 2015 will be about 85 to 90% less than in 2014
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
You can start off by calling the government at the website I provided. They will know how you can find this information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had looked at that website already and had done a plan search and nothing showed up. I guess I will try calling Monday
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Yes that would be best.