How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100971
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my common law partner suffers from addiction, but has never

Customer Question

If my common law partner suffers from addiction, but has never been violent, how do I ensure that I get full custody of my child. As we are splitting, what steps do I take to ensure my child is safe?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as ensuring you get sole custody. There is no way to do that and no steps to take. Your first step is clearly to consult with a family lawyer face to face and the more experienced the better if possible. The Court will make its decision based on what it finds to be in the best interests of the child so you will have to show why sole custody is best for the child. The addiction will be a factor the court will consider but only so far as how it affects parenting. If you have been the child's primary caregiver that will bolster your case significantly. So make an appointment with a lawyer and also start to think of what you do for the child, what your partner does and how you can show the court that the addiction puts your child at risk for harm when with your partner.