How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Copperlaw Your Own Question
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2018
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Copperlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a wrote off (because it was stolen) 2007 ford F-350

Customer Question

I have a wrote off (because it was stolen) 2007 ford F-350 lariat diesel pick up truck. I have receipts for $20,000 + of extra after market parts that I added to this vehicle within the past 24 months and pictures to prove it was in very good shape prior to the theft. My insurance company is trying to only pay me out around $17,800 for this vehicle even after showing proof of everything I just listed. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 2 years ago.
Good evening, I would be happy to assist you.
In accordance with the legislative requirements in Alberta, you'll need to first obtain an independent appraisal of the vehicle's value if you wish to challenge the amount the insurance company is quoting. You can provide an appraiser with all vehicle information, pictures, condition etc and they can provide an independent appraisal as to the actual value of the vehicle. You can then take this appraisal to the insurer and ask that they provide compensation consistent with the professional valuation of the vehicle.
If they then refuse to provide adequate compensation, you can proceed with a complaint to the Alberta Insurance Council who can conduct an independent investigation to provide protection to consumers and ensure that they are being treated fairly by the insurance company and adjusters. They can also mediate between the consumer and the insurer to arrive at a reasonable resolution.
If you are still not satisfied thereafter, you could then pursue them civilly in court.
These would be the proper steps to take in dealing with this matter. Insurance companies do not like to pay any more money than they have to and will try to minimize their own loss wherever possible. This is why these options are available to assist you in the resolution process, to ensure fairness to you, the consumer.
Please let me know if you require anything further as I am quite happy to continue this discussion.
Also, please take a moment to leave me a positive rating as this assists me in building my reputation here on the site.
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I see that you were back in and viewed my response, however I do not see a reply from you. Please let me know if you are satisfied with the information that I have provided or if you require anything further at all.
Also, please remember to leave me a positive rating as this helps me to build my reputation here on the site.
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 2 years ago.
Please take a moment to drop me a quick note in order to let me know if you require anything further or if we may close this question.

Related Canada Law Questions