How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101008
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There, I am not sure how to ask or talk to about this

Customer Question

Hi there,
I am not sure how to ask or talk to about this matter as no one seems to be able to help me.
In November of 2012 I was enrolled in the PN (nursing) program a year and a half course.
I received 75% on an exam (fail) as I needed a 95% I then did a re write and getting a 85% (fail)
I was then not told by my teacher after emailing him several times for my mark. I then went into the office to find out my mark.
The re write paper said I needed a 70% to pass and it was signed by me and the school. (Signed document) I received a 85% and was let go from the program.
I started in November 2012 and was dismissed from the program in February 2013
In that time I had paid the school nearly 17000 which they refused to give me any money back.
I still believe I was wrongfully dismissed from the program with signed documents that state I am correct.
If you could give me any advice or steps I could take in this matter that would be great.
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I have one question first and then may have more once I hear the answer to this one. What province is this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
So are you saying that a mistake was made but it was in your favour but after that they would not honour the mistake to say you passed? Or am I misunderstanding the facts?Why did you not deal with this before now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did talk to pctia which is an organization designed to help students with issues with private colleges(but it was after the 6 month time frame so they couldn't help me)
The way it was explained to me and many other students in the class was I was entitled to 50% of my money back within a certain time frame and I was in this time
Frame but it was worded differently to the students then what was written in the contract. (So i figured I had nothing legal to go on)
Yes this document goes in my favour i was well aware of the percentage I needed to get but according to the document I only needed 70%, just like the money back thing was worded differently then what was signed on paper.
Do you think I would have a legal case ? Or at least be entitled to my money back?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Yes it sounds like you do but it may be too late. So I suggest you see a lawyer face to face as soon as possible.Take all the documents you have with you. You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25. The number is(###) ###-####or 1.***-***-****. If it's not too late to sue you should at least be able to get your money back, possibly all of it. I don't know why the timer ran out but I was able to gift you two minutes so I did.