Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
70961067

My 15 year old son was playing in a sanctioned ball hockey

Customer Question

Hi, my 15 year old son was playing in a sanctioned ball hockey game yesterday and got into a shoving match with another player with a few punches exchanged. One of the opposing coaches ran off their bench running across the rink and grabbed my son by the jersey and pushed him backwards repeatedly and yelled at him "WHY WERE YOU HITTING MY SON!"
Can I charge him with assault or anything else?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 2 years ago.
Assuming the fight was started mutually, which it sounds like it was (given that it started in the heat of a hockey game and punch were exchanged by both parties), then that would likely be considered a consensual fight so the other boy would not be charged with assault.
As for the father, he seems to be trying to break up the fight to defend his son, which would likely be construed as Defence of a 3rd party, which is a defence to assault. So, he also would likely not be guilty of assault.
If you report this to police, they may caution the son and father not to be so aggressive, but likely nothing further.
Hopefully my answer was of assistance. Would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive payment for my services. Thank you very much and best of luck.