How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100491
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Long story in short..I have been approved TRP to visit

Customer Question

Long story in short..I have been approved for a TRP to visit Canada in the recent past. I had two DUI's in state of California in the year 2007, probation completed 2009, I am currently back in the states and want to visit Canada to see loved ones, however was honest about my past criminal offences of DUI's. I sent 70 pages to immigration via an immigration lawyer to prove I have completely rehabilitated, doctors transcripts, character references, proof of fact that my license has been revoked due to partial blindness will never drive again and have been sober for 6 years. I was denied based on these criminal offences and told I can reapply in 2018. Is there a process where I can appeal this or I have been told possibly contacting the Canadian Embassy and this can maybe be overturned?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
What was denied? Your application for rehabilitation or for a TRP?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
oh I am so sorry, I am rehabilitated but my application for a TRP(required due to the criminal record) was denied based on two charges from 2007(both DUI's) stating it was considered a "pattern". I have since changed my life and sent docs and more docs proving it. However, my latest response from Canadian Immigration was that I was denied based on that. I am able to reapply in year 2018, ten years from when the probation period ended. I am since retired with a good pension from the VA, I have someone important to me I would love to visit in Canada.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear this. If you applied at a point of entry and were denied it is not likely you will be successful if you try again at the border. But you can try again by applying to the Canadian Consulate. It will take a while unfortunately but you have a better chance of success. If you just appear at the border your chances are slim because you were just refused once already.

Related Canada Law Questions