How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have paid my lawyer several thousands of dollars in the last

Customer Question

I have paid my lawyer several thousands of dollars in the last 4 years and my husband and I have signed settlements to agree on everything. My lawyer now says until you give me another $ 1600.00 I am not doing doing anything.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Law Maven replied 2 years ago.
Hello – my name is***** am a family lawyer in Ontario, and I’ll be happy to help with your question today.
If the Separation Agreement is signed, and you have copies of that, you can file them with the Court yourself to get the Divorce Order. Or, if all the lawyer has is the Divorce Order, you can go to Court yourself to get another copy.
It does depend, to a certain extend, on a couple of questions:
1) What, if anything, has already been filed with the Court, and what Court fees have been paid?
2) Is the $1,600 payment for things the lawyer has already done, or for doing the next steps?
Let me know that, and I can give you a more exact answer regarding what you can do.
Please note, though, that if the $1,600 is owed for work already done, even if you can get your divorce without that lawyer's help, he has a legal right to take you to Assessment Court to get paid.

Related Canada Law Questions