I rented my house last fall to two people living together and…

Customer Question
I rented my house last...
I rented my house last fall to two people living together and did not get a signed agreement . We stated that we would give them a special price of our basic cost but they would pay utilities eg water/sewer and hydro. They then turned around and gave us a weeks notice they were leaving and did not pay for 1 months rent and have not paid us back for utilities and hydro as well as they left thir furniture in for 2 extra months so we could not go in to fix the house as we want to sell it. What are our rights to ba able to recover damages and lost revenue and utilities. Thank you.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Canada Law
5/29/2015
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
How much are you owed altogether keeping in mind that they didn't give you adequate notice? Did they claim their furniture two months later and if so did they pay you for storing it or for rent?
Hydro and water and sewer about 1300.00 and rent for 2 months we were only charging 300.00x2= 600.00 plus months with appliances and furniture 2 months. They are supposed to take out last of these items tomorrow and not sure what we should do if anything. I went this week and changed the locks as our insurance said if it is vacant we must now go in regularily to inspect property for insurance purposes. Do not know what would be charged for storage or if charge rent for this time as still there??
I would think they owe you rent for all this time as they were taking up space and not allowing you to rent the house.I suggest that you add up the total and hand them a letter tomorrow demanding they pay you the amount you totaled in full by a deadline you provide and in the letter tell them you will commence legal proceedings if they do not comply.You can sue the in Small Claims Court and self-represent. If it gets that far you can always post on this site again if you find you need some help and I can help you along the way.