How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100454
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Delta BC and rent my home. The Landlord

Customer Question

I live in Delta BC and rent my home.
The Landlord advised me he is raising the rent immediately by $400 per month. We currently pay $1900.
He said if we don't like it, he will evict us and move into the house himself, then rent out the house he currently lives in and owns for $3000 per month.
We asked for everything in writing and he said we could write up the contract but it doesn't mean anything legally. He can still do what whatever he wants.
I tried contacting the RTB with no success.
Thanks for your advice on what to do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
When is the last time he raised your rent?Are you on a month-to-month tenancy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has not raised the rent in 5 years and our tenancy is month to month.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
This is all unlawful. Your are entitled to three months notice, in writing. The rental increase cannot be more than 2.5% unless he gets an order for a higher amount. He most assuredly cannot do what he wants!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much. Can he evict us, move into the house himself and then rent out the house he currently lives in?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Yes he can but it has to be bona fide and he cannot do that immediately.As well you can contest the eviction and provide evidence that he said he would do this if you don't allow this ridiculous increase.

Related Canada Law Questions