How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99954
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There, I wanted to see a lawyer since I needed his/her

Customer Question

Hello there,
I wanted to see a lawyer since I needed his/her expert advice on the following issues faced by me:
1 Even-though I am highly qualified and experienced in Canada and internationally, I have remain unemployed for the past 2 years. My remaining out of work and spending all the (remaining) money has put severe strain on my resources and am (almost) facing bankruptcy on account of it.
2) I believe, I am facing discrimination because of my age and (skin) colour. This is because I see that all my past colleagues have secured employment even when they were very much less experienced and also less qualified than me.
3) I have already worked for about 10 years in my field and proved myself, over and over again. I strongly believe that there is no problem with my competency or with my adaptability.
4) Also, I did secured a license to work in my regulated profession in 2012, but am not given a chance to work and pay bills for me and my family. I have applied to hundreds of positions and many companies have also interviewed me in the past 2 years. I however find that they all have not bothered to reply to me or employ me due to reasons unknown.
5) I have worked extremely hard in the last 10 years here in Calgary and had brought good reputation to many Calgary Companies because of my in-depth knowledge of the subject and devotion to work. All my supervisors have (and will in future, if required) given very good references to Companies I have applied.
Please help me. I do not want to go bankrupt and need urgent expert advice.
Many thanks in advance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
We cannot see you or be your lawyer.I can provide you with legal information. For example I can explain the law of discrimination. Or I can suggest ways on finding a lawyer in Alberta. Or I can move this question to the job category if you think some information provided by an expert in that area would help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please provide me legal information and explain me the law of discrimination. Also suggest me ways on finding a lawyer in Alberta for my job category.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.The number is:1-***-***-**** or***-***-**** in CalgaryOr you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.Here's the link to their website: law is that you cannot be refused a job or even a job interview because of your colour, religion, race, country of origin, gender, age sexual orientation, marital status, disability etc.You can be refused an interview or a job if you are so experienced that you may be too expensive. I don't know if that is the case but if you are essentially overly-qualified or if the employer just wants to pay less than you deserve that is not discrimination. Discrimination is often very hard to prove. But if for example someone seems very interested in you until they meet you and you notice they act differently the moment they see you that could be a sign.More significant though is if there are employers whom you can see only hire white people, for example. This is called systemic discrimination and that may be easier to prove if it exists.What I suggest you do is see a lawyer in your city and discuss this issue in detail but also consider calling the Human Rights Commission:

Related Canada Law Questions