How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother has passed. She does not have a will. I am currently

Customer Question

My mother has passed. She does not have a will. I am currently finalizing her arrangement and attempting to arrange her affairs. Without a will, no spouse, and the her only child arranging to lay her to rest, I have the lead in all aspects of her funeral. She has assets and additional Death benefits through the Alberta Government, but no will. How do I begin to attempt to gain control of her estate so I can open an Estate Account for her? I have looked into a Grant of Administration through the Alberta Courts but I am still uncertain if this is my best approach if there is no will. I am a Canadian Citizen, but a resident of the USA as of December 2012. Mom has no children remaining in Alberta and no children anywhere that have the means to care for her. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
What type of assets does she have and how much are they worth?

Related Canada Law Questions