How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Maven Your Own Question
Law Maven
Law Maven, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 164
Experience:  Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law Maven is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm in Hong Kong, I need to sign property purchase documents,

Customer Question

I'm in Hong Kong, I need to sign property purchase documents, for residential detached property, in Surrey, BC. Can I get my Vancouver notary to witness, my signature via Skype video, then I scan, email the docs back to her. We have known each other for 20 years, over at least 6 property deals. She then prints the docs, and notarizes them. is this legally acceptable?...I can't stand the idea of paying Hong Kong notaries, $1600 HK dollars per signature.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Law Maven replied 2 years ago.
Hello – my name is***** am a Canadian lawyer, and I’ll be happy to help with your question today.
Expert:  Law Maven replied 2 years ago.
There are three acts that govern this area of law: The Notaries Act sets out what the powers of a Notary are.The Power of Attorney Act, RSBC 1996, c 370, <>, which sets out what needs to be done to make a valid power of attorney, and specifically: that the person granting the power must sign the document in the presence of two witnesses, who also sign it.The Land Title Act, RSBC 1996, c 250, Part 5 &mdash; Attestation and Proof of Execution of Instruments, <>, which says that if the power of attorney is to be used to buy or sell property, it has to be witnessed by at least one person who is an Officer who can take Affidavits.None of the acts specifically defines "witness" or "presence" in terms of whether the person can be witnesses an electronic presence, or whether it has to be a presence in body. I suspect the eventual decision will depend on your friend the Notary, and whether they feel that it's an ethically reasonable thing to do, and --as well-- whether they are willing to risk being part of a long, expensive, and potentially unpleasant case to determine whether or not they did something wrong. At some point in time it is a question that will be tested in the Courts, but as yet there is no definitive answer. I hope I have fully answered your question, but please do not hesitate to ask for more information if needed. When you are satisfied with the answer, kindly provide me a positive rating so I can receive credit for my answer. My answer here contains only general legal information and not legal advice. No solicitor/client relationship has been created by this communication.