I am now 75 years old I arrived in Canada as an Immigrant…

Customer Question
I am now 75 years...
I am now 75 years old I arrived in Canada as an Immigrant on May 2nd 2005 Ergo I have now been here 10 years.....I was told that I could not claim for Od Age Security until now..my sole income is $600 from the UK (old age security) and $27.15 employment pension from employment over last 9 years...everyone tells me I am allowed to to claim for assistance but I am a lttle confused Terrence
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Canada Law
5/27/2015
Lawyer: TaxRobin,
 replied 3 years ago
TaxRobin
To receive the Old Age Security pension:
- you must be 65 years of age or older;
- you must have legal status in Canada;
- if you live outside of Canada, you must have had legal status on the day before you left Canada;
- you must have lived in Canada for at least 10 years after turning 18 (or 20 years if you now reside
outside of Canada);
- you must submit the necessary documents; and
- you must complete and sign the application.
It is true that you must have resided in Canada for 10 years. You may still qualify for a pension from another country (UK), from Canada, or from both if you have:
lived in one of the countries with which Canada has a social security agreement in force; or
contributed to the social security system of one of the countries with which Canada has a social security agreement in force.
If you want to apply for Canadian benefits look to the following for the specifics:
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/services/pensions/oas/pension/index.shtml#when
Copy and paste the url so you can see the exact information and what you will need to supply when you apply.
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
This question just appeared on the Canada Law list. It had inadvertently been placed on the US tax list and was mistakenly answered by a US tax expert. You need a Canadian law expert to answer to be sure all your questions are answered fully and competently. The answer provided by the original expert is correct in terms of what was said but not complete. That is because there are potential additional benefits available to you. For example as you have a lower income you are likely entitled to receive the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) in addition to the Old Age Security Pension. This is a great benefit as it is not taxable.As well, if you worked in Canada during the years here you may also be entitled to CPP retirement pension which has nothing to do with needs but is based on contributions.You can read about the GIS here: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/services/pensions/oas/gis/index.shtml Here is a page that has the contact information for OAS (Old Age Security) and CPP:http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/common/contactus/index.shtml Let me know if you need further clarification and sorry for the initial confusion.