We are a Self-Managed Townhouse Strata in Hope BC, with 19…

Customer Question
We are a Self-Managed Townhouse...
We are a Self-Managed Townhouse Strata in Hope BC, with 19 units. Some units share steps with another unit.
Who is responsible for salting (?)/clearing ice and snow on the steps, sidewalks, roads on the property. What is the Residents, Owners, Managers obligations? We use the Strata Property Act, Schedule of Standard Bylaws and they seems pretty vague on this subject. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you, Marilyn
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Canada Law
5/26/2015
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
As the stairs, walkways, and driveways are common elements it is the strata corporation that is responsible for maintaining these common elements. If for some reason the stairs are not considered common elements (which would be highly unusual) then the individual owners are responsible for their portion of the steps up to their property line. You can review the legal description of your units to clarify what each unit owner actually owns.
The Registered Strata Plan, from the Land Title Office, DOES NOT SHOW THE STAIRS on the drawings.
You have to read the legal description of your premises that you bought or you can read the by-laws. You have to figure out who owns the steps.