Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have a dispute with my older sister about my elderly mother

Customer Question

I have a dispute with my older sister about my elderly mother finance. I owe my mom 20k and paying her 1k every month. My sister is holding my mom's account and her ATM card. my mom asked the atm and my sister wont give it to her. My sister cut me off access in my mom's account. She made my mom transfer the money to my sister account. The amount of money is 27k. Now my sister is telling me that the 27k she gave it to my brother. And she said my brother open a joint account with my brother and he has the power of attorney. I dont trust my brother being the account holder of my mom. How the I resolve this issue.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Is your mother mentally competent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Then this is all up to your mother. There is nothing you can do from a legal point of view. You can tell her you don't trust your brother but the choice is entirely up to her. She has the right to appoint whomever she wants under a POA and the right to do whatever she wants with her money.She has the right to treat each child differently if she likes.The only way the law would become involved here is if you can prove that she is being financially abused in the sense that your siblings are taking advantage of the fact she is elderly and forcing her to do things she doesn't want to do out of confusion, or fear etc.Do you see what I mean?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. I hope you can work this out.