How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100049
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had to leave my husband because of mostly emotional abuse.

Customer Question

I had to leave my husband because of mostly emotional abuse. A separation is imminent. I have a mediator working on the separation. It is slow going. My husband just says" You started this. You finish it."
I left I in Sept. Of 2014.
My daughter has a concern that since the separation is taking this long, that I may be charged with desertion.
After 49 years of marriage this is really difficult. The abuse has been ongoing since shortly after our marriage.
Do I have a concern?
Thank you very much,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Your daughter need not worry.There is actually no such thing as being charged with desertion.You do not have to remain living with anyone you don't want to live with. And if this cannot be mediated you can always resort to the courts.

Related Canada Law Questions