If a lawyer fails to show up client what legal statute

Customer Question
If a lawyer fails to...
If a lawyer fails to show up for a client what legal statute must you rely upon to sue them. What part of the law have they broken if they fail to show in court and afail to tell the client they have a court date? and the case is struck out? I need to know the exact part of teh law I would rely upon in filling out a supreme court document to claim for damages. also what dames I suffered. Also the lawyer lost all the dates for access when we did go to court and the judge just went with a more restrictive set of dates that teh other party had ready.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/20/2015
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
This is negligence. It is not based on a statute or Act.It is based on common law. So the law is negligence. You are relying on the common law. And the damages are to put you in the position you would have been in had this not happened.But if this is about access to a child the you can claim higher damages than usual but have to show that you cannot get the order for access varied.