How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101440
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father passed away and we made an agreement

Customer Question

My father passed away and we made an agreement for purchase and sale of his home. The new owner asked for permission to enter the home two weeks prior to the closing date. I stupidly agreed to it. Now this new owner has informed me that he has changed the locks on the house. This is illegal, right?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is. Just call the police and have them attend at the premises. Bring proof you are still the owners. Or else call a locksmith who will change the locks for you as you are the owner. Then tell them the costs of the locksmith has to be covered when the closing takes place or they won't get title and you will sue them and then let your real estate lawyer know.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I meant to add that have the police attend if they are there.If not you can just call the locksmith.