How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100389
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good morning... I am a single parent of two teenagers &

Customer Question

good morning...
I am a single parent of two teenagers & sole guardian; their father passed away in March 2007. My son aged 17 DOB Jan.15/98 was charged with theft under $5000 by the Hudson Bay Company (total items stolen was $68) & is due to appear before the judge Jun.15, 2015. He has since be put on probation with monthly visits to his probation officer, 40 hours community service & mandatory drug & alcohol counselling. This is his first offence.
I have received a letter from legal counsel representing the company he stole from. They are suing me for damages "for failing to provide reasonable supervision of the young person". They are claiming they'll settle for damages in return for a payment of $595; if this payment is not made they will proceed before a civil court for all damages plus interest, legal expenses & other administrative costs incurred
Do I have to pay this???
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
When you say they are suing you, you didn't actually get served with a claim did you?This is just a letter, right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
correct I have till the end of today to reply to them "Patrick K. Martin, B.A., LL.B., B.C.L, Barrister & Solicitor" out of Toronto Ontario
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
You don't have to reply to them and most would not. First, this is just a threat. Second, these companies threaten to sue but never do. Finally, they cannot sue you successfully unless they prove you put him up to this or were with him and ignored him constantly and were with him at the time.

Related Canada Law Questions