How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100944
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a duplex which was purchased by 18 years ago from my

Customer Question

we have a duplex which was purchased by 18 years ago from my wife's mother we are now getting a divorce the mortgage at the time of purchase was 180.000 on the deed we showed a purchase price of upon the sale or split can her mother have recourse for the difference claiming it was a gift and she wants it back...
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Is she saying she wants the money back?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes she is....because of the divorce. Does she have the right to do that even though it doesn't stipulate anywhere on the deed thar it was a gift...
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I am puzzled as you keep saying it is not a gift. Don't you want t to have been a gift rather than a loan?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can she take back the gift under quebec law that is my question....when my wife buys me our of the property...
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
There is no such thing as taking back a gift.
She may try to say it was a loan. But you fan refute that by saying she never asked for it to be paid back.