How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100011
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a care giver alzheimers mother. I have apartment

Customer Question

I am a care giver for my alzheimers mother. I have apartment in basement She does not allow me any autonomy in my suite
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She claims it is her house which is true but because I care for her I feel that I should be allowed this space for me alone and not be threatened daily
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
What is is that you want to do that she won't allow?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to have a space where I can chill after dealing with her problems all day. She threatens that she can throw me out. I have lived here for 13 year and have done everything I can to make her life easier. Can she throw me out legally? I just want my refuge from dealing with her alzheimers.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, she can throw you out as she is the owner of the house so you don't have a legal right to live there unless she says you can.
At the same time she cannot make you stay and so you can agree to care for her on the condition that she allows you this space and you can say that she can throw you out but she cannot force you to care for her.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
. that makes it pretty clear
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I hope you can work this out.