How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step dtr is designated handicapped. Six years ago a grand

Customer Question

my step dtr is designated handicapped. Six years ago a grand aunt left her a large sum of money. The will stated it was to be administered to her. Two relatives are doing this. She was also suppose to receive a statement once a year re her funds. In the past 5 years Katherine has not received a report stating how much money she has. She is in a crisis at the moment and is being refused any funds to met her needs. She lives in the Kelowna area and I am in Maple Ridge. How does she go about getting the information she needs re her funds? How can she change this set up and possibly have it administered by someone like the Public Trustee? I am willing to be her advocate.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Is your step daughter mentally competent?
Do you know if the will uses the phrase "absolute discretionary trust"?
Why are they refusing to provide her with any of the funds?
Why are they refusing to provide her with annual reports?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no she is not mentally competent. I will ask if it is an absolute discretionary trust. She does not know why they are not giving her annual reports. Katherine states that her aunt will not give her any money now as the aunt states the money is to last all of Katherine's life and does not want money to go to both Katherine and her husband.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
have you received my last response?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how can she make them give her financial reports?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
why are you not responding?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry but I still have a few more questions. Does your step daughter have a legal guardian? Is your step daughter receiving governmental disability benefits?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe she is receiving govt. disability benefits. I do not know if she has a legal guardian. Should she have a guardian? She is over 40 years of age. Please answer asap. Thanks
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Did you find out if the words absolute discretionary trust were used?

Related Canada Law Questions