Pls I need ur advice. I have a 10yr old boy in grade

Customer Question
Hello. Pls I need ur...
Hello. Pls I need ur advice. I have a 10yr old boy in grade 4 in a Catholic schl in Toronto & he was suspended for 1 day from schl & d Principal copied d Superintendent of Education as well as d Ontario Record without proper investigation of what actually happened before making a decision. On d 29th of April, a call came from d school V. Principal that my boy was involved in a fight with another student & that my boy would be suspended from school for one day which would be April 30th. When I demanded the fact of d matter from d V. Principal, he said he wasn't there to witness d fight but he's acting based on what he was told by d Teacher supervising d children on d school court at break time & inferred that my boy was not d originator of d fight hence he's getting one day suspension while d other student, a grade 3 boy gets three days. But my boy's version of d matter was that he was a mediator between two students that we're fighting by separating them but following that, one of d two students fighting came after him with reigns of punches. According to my boy, he fled from d other boy who took after him with ferocious punches to my boy. My boy, left with no other choice had to push this aggressive boy & d other boy fell in d process & that was when d two were seen for d 1st time & while d only Supply Teacher at d field supervising came to see what d matter was, d other boy who wanted to land a punch on my boy instead landed d blow on d Supply Teacher's mouth. My boy tendered that there were three other students were present who all witnessed that he, my boy did nothing to provoke d other boy that might result in fighting other than peaceful separation of two students fighting. One thing that's worth mentioning here is that d school Principal who was not in school on that day of d incident called me, D mother of James, to inform me that my son James would stay home on April 30/15 as suspension that even though that my son James was not, to quote him, "the instigator"! So on d following day, April 30th, myself & my husband who's James father, in company of James went to d school to have a meeting with d school Principal even though we weren't invited. D Principal stated that James wasn't d instigator but that James ought to have ran to d school authority to report d incident. My husband them asked d Principal what he d Principal would have done to break loose from an attacker if he were to ever be confronted with such scenario & all d Principal could say was that he, d Principal had taught his own son if his son were ever been confronted with such situation to push d attacker away & run off to report afterwards! He further added that henceforth, things would be fine if James does d right thing in future. We said that we believe that James should be commended for his effort to break a fight as this children were taught even in d Catholic schools to be "Disciples of Christ". That line of discussion didn't go down well with d Principal who maintained that his job is to enforce & maintain discipline in school regardless of who's right or wrong & even said "on a case of probability where school policy is concerned as to whether a student committed an offence or not, d school's policy is...yes..d student did it"! We requested that d lady Supply Teacher on d field on that day be invited to d on going meeting, d Principal inferred that's against d school policy. D Principal didn't interview d three children present on that day but d funny thing is that d school Principal who twice admitted to us at d commencement of d meeting that James was not d instigator of d fight but when we demanded that d V. Principal be sought for his own account of d matter, d Principal who had all it takes at his disposal to summon d V. Principal instead went himself to call d V. P & when they both arrived, d Principal now changed his attitude & now saying that James actually was involved to d best of his knowledge. At this point, we have our doubts about d Principal's decision but we decided to take James home on that day being d 30th day of April, 2015 to serve his suspension. This was on Thursday. On Friday, James went back to school but came with a letter backdated to Wednesday April 29/15 saying that James is suspended for fighting & must stay home on d 30th of April & must inform him d Principal on his return to discuss his suspension's re entry plan & that we are at liberty to Appeal to d School's Superintendent of Education at*****E, Toronto. He copied d Superintendent of Education as well as d Ontario School records. We are hoping to Appeal d decision of d Principal his probability policy used which is obnoxious & reprehensible. Our son James never fought anyone in his life & he had been brought forward before or had problem with anyone or d school authority. Pls advise us. What do we do? We believe d Principal acted too harshly on James by trying to give him an unmerited record. Pls help. O. Ajibade
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
5/7/2015
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
Did you ask him about removing the suspension record from his permanent record?
Still waiting for your advice pls and thank you
NO
Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor