I have a lease agreement with renters year to year lease.

Customer Question
I have a lease agreement...
I have a lease agreement with renters for a year to year lease. Clearly not a fixed term. This lease was signed Jan1, 2015. They gave me notice to terminate by a text on April 7th. We were not able to re-rent the suite until May 15th. My question is are they responsible for the rent until May 15th as it was a year to year lease or just till May 7th. Also, when they left I went to do the walk thru and they had not removed their furniture. I told them I could not do it at that time. I did a quick walk around but there were things piled everywhere. When this time was booked I told them I was going to be out of town after that meeting. My partner was not able to leave his job to do another walk thru later that day until 4:30 pm. When he got there they were gone. He took a witness with him and found the house very dirty. They also left some stuff behind for us to dispose of. Can I charge them the going rate to clean the house and charge to dispose of the items.(not sellable).
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
5/7/2015
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
The one month's notice they were required to give did not start until May 1 so you are entitled to rent up until May 15.
You are also entitled to receive reimbursement for the costs you incurred in removing their items.
You cannot charge for the cost of cleaning the premises unless they were unreasonably dirty.
Debra, Lawyer