How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99963
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have an employee who stole/embezzeled aprox $22,000 from

Customer Question

We have an employee who stole/embezzeled aprox $22,000 from our firm, we have terminated him. My question is can we put a lien or a writ on his property to try to recover these funds, turning him into the police will not get our money back.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for requesting me. Unfortunately, you cannot put a lien on his property unless you first obtain a judgement against him. For this reason it would make the most sense for you to immediately commence legal proceedings against this employee. You can sue him in small claims court for up to $25,000, and can therefore self represent. However, I suggest that as a first step you retain a lawyer to send him a demand letter. If he does not pay you I then suggest self-representing, as paying a lawyer to sue will be too expensive. If you end up having to sue you can always post on this site again if you find you need help and I can assist you further.

Related Canada Law Questions