Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

We have an employee who stole/embezzeled aprox $22,000 from

Customer Question

We have an employee who stole/embezzeled aprox $22,000 from our firm, we have terminated him. My question is can we put a lien or a writ on his property to try to recover these funds, turning him into the police will not get our money back.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for requesting me. Unfortunately, you cannot put a lien on his property unless you first obtain a judgement against him. For this reason it would make the most sense for you to immediately commence legal proceedings against this employee. You can sue him in small claims court for up to $25,000, and can therefore self represent. However, I suggest that as a first step you retain a lawyer to send him a demand letter. If he does not pay you I then suggest self-representing, as paying a lawyer to sue will be too expensive. If you end up having to sue you can always post on this site again if you find you need help and I can assist you further.