How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2415
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you tell me if I have a Canadian warrant and run

Customer Question

can you tell me if I have a Canadian warrant for hit and run ? I've only ever had 1 ticket in Canada, and I have the paid receipt for it and it was not for a hit and run
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only ticket I'm aware of is #(###) ###-####in Regina, Saskatchewan on 28 Nov. 2014.
I have the internet email receipt from the Saskatchewan Justice Online Fine Payments service for that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
By me, I mean Blaine Stratton my son, same thing my first visit to your site was about.
Expert:  Tom B. replied 2 years ago.
Please do not use personal info here. This is a public legal forum. I have asked that your personal details be deleted.
Warrants can be researched by retained lawyers or by yourself in person. Why do you think you were charged with a hit and run?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Because an application for employment was turned down with an explanation of hit and run or leaving the site of an accident. In the US a DAC report can be ran for a commercial driver. I do not find such a service for Canada, so I'm hoping that a search can be ran to either validate the claim by the prospective employer and clear the issue, or that the claim is false and come back to the employer with proof that there is nothing outstanding.

Expert:  Tom B. replied 2 years ago.
Alas, it is not as easy as that here.
Short of hiring a lawyer in Regina to investigate, you can try contacting the Crown Counsel lawyers there to see if they have a file open on you. Here is their contact info....
Otherwise, here is a link to get court information....
If there is a warrant or even just an open file, the court criminal registry will know as well as the Crown. The problem is whether they will divulge that information just over the phone.
I feel a bit helpless in that if it was were I live, I could just ask. So, it may be that a Regina Lawyer might have to make the call.
The only other recourse is to write to both the Crown, the Court and to SGI (the motor vehicle registry) and ask for clarification. Here is the SGI contact info...
In such a letter, explain the situation and ask for a reply. But, also ask for a copy of every document in their possession with your name on it. State that your request is pursuant to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act of Saskatchewan.
Under that legislation, any "person" has a right to records held by government about them.
I sincerely ***** ***** have assisted and that you will rate my answer well.
Expert:  Tom B. replied 2 years ago.
Do you require more info or will you rate my answer well?

Related Canada Law Questions