How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101001
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently had an accident with a pedestrian on private property.

This answer was rated:

I recently had an accident with a pedestrian on private property. The police were involved and they did not charge me but said the pedestrian may sue. After speaking with the pedestrian we agreed to settle outside of court. How can I be sure they will not sue me at a later date?
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

If you are paying the pedestrian something before you do you should get the pedestrian to sign a release prepared by a lawyer so that the pedestrian is prohibited from suing you.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-268-8326 or(NNN) NNN-NNNN(within the GTA)

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will a written agreement between us no be enough?

Yes it will if the agreement is drafted by a lawyer.

The agreement will include a release.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you