How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101436
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My then fiancee entered into Canada on April 2013, at the time

This answer was rated:

My then fiancee entered into Canada on April 2013, at the time he was going to stay for two months while we saw if the relationship worked living together.When he entered he was not given any documents for a Visitors Visa. We were married Oct 2013. I am now wanting to Sponsor him to become a PR. Does he need to apply for a Visitors Visa? He plans to stay in Canada while the immigration is being processed. Would it be better to have an Immigration lawyer do his application or is this a fairly basic case? Thank you!!!
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

What is his citizenship?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is American and has no criminal record and is in good health.

He doesn't need a visitor's visa.

Once you start the application process he can remain during the entire process. But if he leaves he will not be permitted to re-enter. He cannot work during the process until his permanent residency status is almost finally approved. He will be told when he can get an open work permit.

It is not a complicated process but nothing is that simple with Canada Immigration. If you can afford to retain an immigration lawyer it would be worth it. It's not necessary. Don't retain a consultant. If you are hiring a professional be sure it's a lawyer.

You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:

604.687.3221 or 1.800.663.1919.

Here is the link to the webpage that has all the information and forms:

Congratulation on your marriage by the way!

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you