How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100007
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do you need to legally separated before you can get a divorce

This answer was rated:

Do you need to legally separated before you can get a divorce in Saskatchewan?
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

There is no such thing as a legal separation in Canada.

You do not need a separation agreement to get a divorce.

You need to be separated for one year as a matter of fact only if you want to get divorced based on a one year separation.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do you prove you have been separated?

Is this being disputed?

Have you lived separate and apart in the same home or two different homes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No disputes.

My wife left our house and took my child 3 weeks ago. She is now living at her parents house.

How do I prove that we are separated now so that I can get a divorce in one year??

Just make a note of the date.

There is nothing more you need to do to prove this.

When the time comes you can file a simple sworn Affidavit.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions