How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100996
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If i am a hands on dad that has been a major part of my sons

This answer was rated:

If i am a hands on dad that has been a major part of my sons like since birth, is there any reason I wouldnt get shared guardianship or custody, 50/50? I would like a one week rotation with each parent, but my ex basically wants me to be a weekend dad so she can party. She is trying to take my sons time away from my family as well.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

How old is the child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is 2 1/2 years old

There is no reason why the Court would prefer the mother simply because she is the mother.

If you've both been involved in caring for the child then there is no reason why share custody could not be ordered.

Shared custody is considered to be the optimal approach when all things are equal.

You would need to prove to the Court that shared custody is in the best interests of your child.

Your next step really should be to consult with a family lawyer face to face.

You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:

604.687.3221 or 1.800.663.1919.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you