How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101016
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is divorce law in BC cut and dry? Or can Lawyers help explain

This answer was rated:

Is divorce law in BC cut and dry? Or can Lawyers help explain to the Judge certain situations. I am male and have been separated for years but still pay to help her out and she lies to me and plays me thinking we can get back together, I had money but spent it all on her new home. Our kids are grown also. Now she isn't happy again and threatens me all the time telling me I will loose everything.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

No family law is not cut and dry. Nothing could be further from that statement in fact.

And if you've been separated for years it's not likely she can cause you to loose anything at all.

So don't let her bully you but make a list of your assets, your debts, your income, her information and what you've been paying her and see a family lawyer face to face for a consultation.

I think you may be very happily surprised if so many years have gone on already.

You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:

604.687.3221 or 1.800.663.1919.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We own things together even after being separated and also bought things together after being separated but only to better things and with the hope of maybe getting back together, I received a $140,000 payout while she lived on her own and I paid her gas card and helped pay expenses too and she paid too, we still share a bank account but only for convenience. After receiving my money I told her about it and she said buy me a house in the town I live in or I will divorce you and take you for everything. She went to counseling and I wanted too with her but her counselor told her that I need a taste of my own medicine. I feel wronged and stupid for giving in and need help and I feel like I have know hope because she is a woman and the judge will make me sell everything that we own. I live in our other house that we bought with my money before we were married and raised her three children who are now raised and on their own but call me Dad. I'm just confused.

I don't believe her counselor said that.

And I think you are being bullied and threatened so she can get away with all she wants to.

I strongly believe you need to see a family lawyer and certainly should not tell her you are at this point.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you