How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101019
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can I sue a former employer for continuously making harrassing

This answer was rated:

can I sue a former employer for continuously making harrassing phone calls to me?
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

I am sorry to hear this.

You can sue the employer if you are suffering damages as a result of this harassment.

If this harassment is persistent then you can also report this to the police who may either warn the employer to stop or possible even charge the employer with harassment.

Keep a log of all the times the employer calls so you can show this to the police.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am suffering emotional damages...I am grieving the recent loss of my spouse which was one of the reasons I resigned from my job as a registered nurse, so I can spend more time with my fiance.

When initially contacted, my employer let me know that I was taken off their call list. I still continued to get calls and when I contacted them the second time they made up some silly excuse like maybe they didn't delete my number correctly. I resigned in July 2013, my fiance passed away in september and I received yet another call from my former employer yesterday!

I am saddened to hear about your loss and the treatment you are being subjected to.

Why not have a lawyer send them a letter demanding they cease and desist at once? I would certainly hope that would work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how much does a letter like this cost? Can I write one myself letting them know that I have sought legal advise on the matter?

You can most assuredly write one yourself.

And you can send it by Registered Mail which will scare them.

A letter will cost a couple of hundred dollars.

But if you are up to writing it then I think you should write it yourself.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you