How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100008
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Not sure if I sent it my question correctly. I have a situation

This answer was rated:

Not sure if I sent it my question correctly. I have a situation where the seller breached an offer acceptance agreement. Seller has my deposit and will not return it. Other than suing for the return of my deposit, legal fees and court fees, are their any other damages I can request? For example, I can not purchase another home till I have my deposit back. WHat about any emotional and marital stress this has caused?
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

What is the reason the seller has said he/she won't go through with the sale?

And why won't the seller return your deposit if the seller is the one trying to call off the deal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The seller is also the builder. We signed the purchase agreement and worked with the builder on agreed upon finishings of the house. Builder started to cheap out, we complained, they offered us in writing a full refund of deposit and upgrades paid to date. We accepted which would be a binding contract (offer - acceptance). They returned back with an approval BUT included other costs we would have to pay - which was not in the offer acceptance letter. They have my deposit and upgrades I agreed to and already paid for. They are ignoring all my calls. What other damages can I demand if this goes to court?

You can demand full reimbursement of course, interest and your costs.

If you can show that the refusal to pay you back caused you to suffer other foreseeable damages, such as a lost opportunity to buy another house (surely they know you need to do this) then that may work as well.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions