How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100994
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like legal counsel regarding wrongful dismissal from

This answer was rated:

I would like legal counsel regarding wrongful dismissal from employment. I was recently terminated from employment and was not given a reason why.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

I am sorry to hear this.

How long did you work there for?

Are you in a union?

How much notice or pay in lieu of notice did they give you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was employed 2+ years. I am not in a union. The termination letter I received details final pay of 3 months pay including unpaid vacation. The letter also states that I will only receive this amount upon completion of signing a general release letter.


I was not given any reason for the dismissal and no notice was provided prior to my termination.

The law is that an employer can dismiss an employee for any reason or for no reason so long as there is no discrimination.

When an employee is dismissed without just cause the employee is entitled to receive reasonable notice or pay in lieu of notice.

Generally, in determining what is reasonable notice Courts look at several factors including the length of time you worked for the employer, your age, your position, the likelihood of finding new employment etc.

At the high end, if you were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment. If you were not in a managerial position the Court would order somewhat less.

By given you three months pay in lieu of notice the employer is giving you more than the court would award you if you were to sue. That is clearly because the employer doesn't want you to sue.

So unfortunately there is really nothing you can do to prevent the dismissal or to get a higher level of damages.

If you would like to discuss this with an employment lawyer face to face then you can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-661-1095 or
403-228-1722 in Calgary

Let me know if you need further clarification.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you