How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law.Hut Your Own Question
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law.Hut is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

(Ontario) My husband does not want to go through the legal

This answer was rated:

(Ontario) My husband does not want to go through the legal hassles of a formal separation (we are both in our 60s) Instead he is offering to buy me a house that will be in my name and will more than meet what is owed to me. If he were to get into any kind of financial trouble in the future could I or my house in any way be held accountable?

If the house is in your name, then no, any debts that he may incur would be irrelevant to you and would not effect your ownership or interest in the house in any way. A spouse has no legal liability for debts of their spouse unless they formally co-sign or guarantee the debt. Even if you remain legally married you are not responsible for his debts just by virtue of marriage and your assets are not subject to any claims by his creditors.

I hope this is helpful. If you have no further questions, please rate the answer positively, as otherwise the site does not credit me, even if you have paid a deposit. You can still ask follow up questions after rating though, if you wish.
Law.Hut and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions