How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99966
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been dating my fiancee for over a year and we know each

This answer was rated:

I have been dating my fiancee for over a year and we know each other for a long time through our families. However, she is a US citizen currently residing in the US. I am a Canadian citizen and we have agreed to reside in Canada when married. I have had a first opinion about this and was advised to have her come over as a visitor, get married and start the sponsoring process inmediately. She is well educated and qualified for jobs in demand in Alberta. I am very well positioned both professionally and financially and would have no problem qualifying for her sponsorship and supporting her for the duration of the process. That way she will not be needing to work ilegally, that is not the intention. What do you think of this idea? Should she buy a round-trip ticket when she comes? What other advise can you offer?
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

First, as you are able to afford an immigration lawyer you should consider retaining one. It's in advisable to use an immigration consultant or any immigration service.

Your fiancee can come for a visit so long as she can prove strong ties to back home.

If she enters Canada and remains you can apply to sponsor her after you are married.

But she cannot work in Canada while waiting for the application to be processed and this can take well over a year.

The other approach is to marry and then sponsor her while she waits in the US.

As a next step and before making any decisions I suggest you do have a consultation with an immigration lawyer face to face.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-661-1095 or
403-228-1722 in Calgary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am ok supporting her while the inmigration process takes place, however, you did not answer the question relating to the one way ticket, what is your advise in that regard?
I cannot counsel you to have her lie to immigration. It's an offence to lie.

But if she wants to prove that she is not going to overstay her visit one factor the officer at the border will consider is whether she has a round-trip ticket or not.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions