How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101008
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have my mother and father that live in canada, I was landed

This answer was rated:

I have my mother and father that live in canada, I was landed there but left in 1991 I would like to go back with my wife and two kids because my parents are older and need my help is this possible? I have a social insurance number that was issued to me years ago is this still valid?

Debra Thal :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Debra Thal :

The social insurance number is XXXXX but you are not authorized to work there.

Debra Thal :

And you cannot move back because you have a social insurance number.

Debra Thal :

By leaving in 1991 unless you were working for a Canada employer all these years, you will have lost your PR status.

Debra Thal :

This means that if you want to live in Canada you will have to apply for PR status first.


Thats all the info you can give me??? I lived in Canada for 5 years and even graduated high school there! If this is the case about a year ago I was hassled by canadian customs they were telling me I needed to go to immigration and give up my landed immigrant status why would they say this?


do you have an answer??

I don't know what they were telling you but there is no such thing as having to go and give up your status.

You lost your status if you did not live in Canada for at least 710 days in each 5 year period after getting your PR status.

The two exceptions are if you were accompanying a Canadian Citizen spouse or if you were employed by a Canadian employer.

In both those cases even though you were not physically present in Canada you will considered just as if you were.

I don't make up the laws. I just explain them.

Only Canadian citizens do not have to worry about meeting residency requirements.

Those who have permanent residency status must meet the requirements or they will lose their status. That's the current law in Canada.

Read this:
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you