How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101025
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a exercise bike at major Canadian chain store but

This answer was rated:

I purchased a exercise bike at major Canadian chain store but did not pick it up immediately. The bike was discounted from approx $2900 to $630, which is what I paid. When I went back two days later they had sold my bike. They now want to give me a refund of my $630 plus a $200 store credit. I want what I paid for or the equivalent bike (that model is out of stock and no longer available, nor is a equivalent model with-in their system).
What are my options?
Thank you in advance.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

I am sorry to hear this happened to you.

They owe you the $2900 bike. You paid for it and you own it.

There is no doubt that you had a binding contract with them as they took your money.

So I suggest you send them a letter by Registered Mail giving them a deadline for providing you with a comparable $2900 bike and tell them that if they fail to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest and your costs.

You can sue them in Small Claims Court and can self-represent and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can post on this site again and I can assist you further.

For now, let me know if you need any further clarification.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you