My employer just contacted me about how much money I want to

leave my position. I've worked...
My employer just contacted me about how much money I want to leave my position. I've worked for them for 11 years and never had a complaint. They hired a new General Manager and we don't see eye to eye. What do you think would be be a reasonable sum? My salary, including benefits is $75000 a year. I am 62 and in good health.
9/19/2013
Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer

Copperlaw : Hi ere
Copperlaw : Hi there
Copperlaw : I'm happy to help you out with this
Copperlaw : If they are asking you how much you want, this is a good thing for you as it gives you some bargaining room
Copperlaw : So if they wish to terminate your position, they have to give you the appropriate severance
Copperlaw : There are legislated minimums for severance pay, however the minimums are typically deemed inappropriate and insufficient
Copperlaw : More commonly, the fair amount is 2 weeks per year of service, and this amount is also affected by the nature of the position (more if in management), age and likelihood of securing further employment , skill sets and specialized training etc.
Copperlaw : You can also negotiate around continued benefit plans etc
Copperlaw : So given that you are 62, this is a big factor in your ability to find alternative employment and accordingly, you should be receiving kore than 2 weeks per year of service
Copperlaw : Sorry, "more" than 2 weeks per year
Copperlaw : You know your relationship with the employer better and how negotiations might proceed
Copperlaw : Can you tell me what you were considering?
Customer:

I am a "Maintenance Manager" for a retirement home. My employer approached me this morning and asked me how much I would want. I would like your opinion and what you would think would be fair. I asked him--and he said he had no idea--but i know he's been in this position before.

Copperlaw : Well, there's no harm in starting high. I think if you eventually ended up with 33 weeks of pay you'd have difficulty fighting for more, however you could ask for a years pay and continued benefits
Customer:

Thanx for your help.. Will i have a record of this conversation for my files?

Copperlaw : Yes, you will. Once you provide a rating, the question will convert to a different format where you can cut and paste the conversation.
Copperlaw : It will also remain in your "my questions" area for future reference or follow up
Copperlaw : I'm always happy to help out at anytime
Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer

I had a dream last nite-I was dying from cancer. I believe the cancer is my relationship with our newest General Manager-who used to be the Marketing Manager for 7 years prior to her new posting-which has gone directly to her head!

There are some concerns I have relating to the previous answer to my previous question.

1. The Vice President of Construction for Berwick offered me early retirement due to my bad relationship with the G.M. He assured me that this figure would only be between him and me. He would take it to the owner. A friend of mine, who used to be in the legal profession, informed me that he should have made me an offer. What would happen if he denied that this conversation took place-it wouldn't surprise me?

2. I would definitely leave if I got 3 weeks for every year served-which equates to 33 weeks, paid out in a lump sum.

3. How do I go about getting an offer from him?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What would my next step be?

Yours Truly

Les Erickson

Hi Les

Unless they terminate you, there's no obligation to pay severance. So if he denied the conversation and you were not terminated, you'd simply continue working.

Ultimately, if they do terminate, they have to give you an amount consistent with legislation and other decisions.

You can either approach the VP to follow up or just continue working. If you quit, you get no severance.

Jim

What could be the outcome if I asked him for 3 weeks per year of service and he said no?

Copperlaw
Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer