How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99954
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do i get help for my son in law who has had a brain aneurysm

This answer was rated:

How do i get help for my son in law who has had a brain aneurysm and is getting no
OT or Pt treatment. It's been six months now and he is going into permanent disablilty and
my daughter needs a Power of Attorney in BC
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

I can only answer the legal question which is about the Power of Attorney.

Should I answer that part?

And if you would like me to do so can you let me know if your son-in-law is mentally competent or not?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His very young doctor who sees him only twice a week has judged him incompetent to sign checks or know what banking is. My son in law knows these things and can write a check. she will not change the form

If he is mentally competent then he can sign a POA and appoint someone to act now or when he becomes incompetent.

If he is not mentally competent then there will need to be an application to the Court.

The Court will have to be provided with medical evidence of his incompetency. The Court will then declare him to be incompetent and then appoint a legal guardian for him.

It's much simpler and cheaper if he can sign a POA.

But if not then you can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:

604.687.3221 or 1.800.663.1919.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions