How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100023
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

must all children and grand children receive copies of a will

This answer was rated:

must all children and grand children receive copies of a will and variances?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

All beneficiaries should get copies of the Will.

And any person who would inherit if there had been an intestacy (that is where there is no Will) also must be provided with a copy of the Will along with a notice about the Wills Variation Act.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If heirs cannot be contacted what must take place?

You will have to get an order for what is called substituted service. What this means is that you have to prove to the Court that you tried your best to find them and if you can prove that then the Court will allow you to serve them through an alternative way, such as serving his family, advertising in the local paper etc.

But, you do need to be able to show your efforts to locate them or the Court will not consider your request.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions