How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100382
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a partnership question?

This answer was rated:

I have a partnership question?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Thank you for requesting me.

Are you saying he has started his own business but using your funds (yours and his) to pay the employees and suppliers who are his new business's?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, he has not invoiced anything under our partnership since the verbal intent was given on the 6th.

I guess I am trying to determine what my options are?
It sounds to me that he is essentially committing fraud.

He cannot take money that you share and pay his new employees with this money.

So I think you can tell him you are shocked to see he is doing that and you insist the money be replaced at once.

If he refuses then your next step would be to have a lawyer send a similar letter and threaten a lawsuit.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-661-1095 or
403-228-1722 in Calgary

Does that help?

Let me know what you think.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is helpful. Does my verbal intent constitute a disolution of the partnership?


If there is nothing in any partnership agreement that sets out some sort of notice requirement then yes it would be.

It's likely best to send a letter confirming this though.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions