How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100425
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Situation: I am a Canadian citizen, living in Canada. My boyfriend

This answer was rated:

Situation: I am a Canadian citizen, living in Canada. My boyfriend is a Jamaican citizen, living in Jamaica. We lived together in Jamaica for 1 year. His application for a temporary (visitor visa) has been refused twice.
Question: If we get married in Jamaica, and then I sponsor him and we apply for him to become a Canadian permanent resident, when can he come to Canada?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

He can come when his PR status is approved.

That will take between 1.5 - 2 years unfortunately.

If he could get a job offer and a temporary work permit that would be faster.

What has to happen is this:

Your boyfriend's potential employer has to apply to the government for what is called a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). What this entails is the government reviewing the job market to ensure that there is a shortage of Canadians to fill your job. Your boyfriend cannot take a job away from a Canadian. So, he has to have a skill, or work experience, in an area where Canada needs workers and there aren't enough Canadians who have that skill or work experience.

If that's the case then the government will give the employer a positive LMO.

Then he can apply for the work permit.

He will need to prove your credentials and also need to undergo background, medical and criminal checks.

Here's the webpage that has all the information you will need including the forms and information about the fees:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. Just to clarify, does that mean that once we are married and we have submitted the sponsorship & PR application, he cannot apply for a temporary visa to visit me in Canada, even if he does not work here?

They will not likely let him if they haven't so far because they just won't believe he is going to leave and they cannot allow him in permanently until he has his PR status.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Debra!

Just to confirm, even if we are married, he would only be able to come Canada once his PR application is completed in 1.5 - 2 years. The only other way he could come here sooner is by applying for a work permit - correct?

That's probably the case simply because the law is that he cannot enter with the intention of remaining and it will be hard to convince CIC that he will go back to Jamaica if he can't do that now.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions