How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100993
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My family is seeking a product liability lawyer. My 8 month

This answer was rated:

My family is seeking a product liability lawyer. My 8 month old Grandson nearly choked to death by being able to remove a cloth tag on a Baby Einstein Jumper. The tag is attached to the jumper, which indicates proper placement of the child in the jumper.
This tag is made of a very cheap material, much like dollar store ribbon that frays. It took all but a few seconds for my Grandson to pull it off and like every baby, he put it in his mouth.
My daughter was in the same room as he was and noticed he was gagging, when she got him out of the jumper he was clearly choking!! My daughter has medical training and knew what to do, thank God!!
My daughter has alerted the company that makes this product and was offered a free toy for her trauma!! My daughter contacted the local media, TV & Newspaper, to alert parents of this "death trap". Since the airing of this story, the company that makes this product will no longer talk with my daughter, as they have sent this to their legal team.
My daughter is now suffering panic attacks, she can not sleep and she is incredibly emotional. She has taken her son to the doctor, which recorded my Grandson's red throat and overall health, which is OK. However, my daughter is suffering now with nightmares and emotions that are completely unlike her.
Please offer advice. We do not know what to do next!!

So you can say you don't have all the records yet.

You can prepare an Affidavit with what you have now.

And you can then prepare a supplemental one later.

You can take your records to whomever you like but you have a duty to produce all records you have that are relevant to the claim so you can't really say you want another professional to examine them first.

I am sorry to hear this.

Thank goodness your grandson is safe.

If you daughter is suffering damages from what happened then she should consider consulting with a lawyer face to face.

She will need medical expert evidence to prove these damages and to help quantify them.

So she should be seeing a psychiatrist now as she will need this evidence.

The lawyer will likely be able to suggest whom she should see so seeing a lawyer is absolutely her next step.

What you can do to find your daughter a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-661-1095 or
403-228-1722 in Calgary

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you