How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100496
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, My 19 year old Daughter who is going to University has

This answer was rated:

Hi, My 19 year old Daughter who is going to University has moved out of my ex wife's house to live with her Grandmother. The reason she moved is because my Daughter and my ex wife don't get along. I understand I don't have yo pay child support to my ex wife but will I have to pay it to my ex mother in law? Is this clear cut or open to interpretation like most family law?
Thank You,

Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

If the child moved out against the wishes of both of you and decided not to live with either of you though she was welcome to do so then she has moved out and is no longer entitled to support.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Debra,
I'm not sure I understand. So you are saying that if my ex wife lies and says she didnt want her to move out then I still have yo pay my ex wife child support ? Doesn't make sense. What I'm trying to establish is that because my daughter is living with her Grandmother( a family member) and still going to school will the courts make me pay child to my daughters Grandmother. I know if my daughter wasn't going to school full time then I wouldn't have to pay any child support
Thank You

If the child voluntarily moved out even though she had a home to live in (with you or with her mother) then support stops.

If both of you say that she cannot live with you any more but she needs support as she is in school full-time then you both have to pay support to the grandmother.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions