Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I entered to a verbal agreement to wave 1/2 mo. rent toward

I entered to a verbal agreement to wave 1/2 mo. rent toward a tenant, accept a $425.00 Damage Deposit, and allow her to store her property in the room she was going to rent. She agreed to start paying rent the following month. She then left town for 2 weeks. While she was gone I questioned the individual if they was financially stable. She felt offended and changed her mind about renting from me. We did not have a formal statement in the contract regarding abandonment. I wanted to keep $425.00 to cover the half mo. rent. Would I have to return her money?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Was this to be a fixed term tenancy for one year or was this a month-to-month tenancy?

Was the tenant supposed to share a bathroom or kitchen with you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Month to month as long as an advance notice is given. I kept $100 of her security deposit to cover her storing her things at my place.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. Shared living spaces. They had their own furnished bedroom and bathroom.

How much notice did you agree on in terms of terminating the tenancy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If by the end of the 4th day of no payment received the tenant must vacate.

But what about the agreement in terms of how much notice she has to give you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

30 days moving notice given to landlord.

Then this is what she needs to give you. She cannot simply change her mind.

So you are entitled to keep one month's rent as she didn't give you the notice that was required.

Does that help?